Wednesday, September 21, 2005

Part 1: A Bunker...


I woke up in a strange bunker somewhere in Steel Canyon three weeks ago. Something strange was happening....I felt different....drained....unsure where I was and for that matter unsure of who I was. I gathered my thoughts and looked at my surroundings. It seemed to be the same type of bunker I'd entered and fought in dozens of times over the past year. 5th Column, the Council, some rogue organization; it could belong to anyone or noone. I tried to remember when and how I came to that place but I honestly couldn't recall. I seemed to be at the entrance and I dared not venture in unaided since I didn't know what had put me in the state to begin with so I opened the door. My retinas screamed as the daylight reflecting from Silver Lake hit me. It was a beautiful day in Steel Canyon...but what day was it? I reached into my belt to look at the clock on my communicator.....Damn! Stolen. My registration: gone. All ID and belongings gone from my belt. Well great, I thought, Knocked out and mugged. Some superhero.
After my eyes adjusted and my head cleared more I started into my typical preflight jog. I hopped, tucked in my legs, stretched my arms, and faceplanted into a bed of lush green summer grass. It tasted like humiliation. I stood up and looked around to make sure no civilians and especially no other heroes saw this embarassment. Good noone around. I made a second approach and this time landed in a row of hedges in front of a park bench. Oh no...not good. No communicator. No ID. No flight. I have to see the city reps in Atlas and get new ID and stop by SERAPH and pick up a new communicator.
I hailed a cab and headed for Atlas Park, realizing about halfway there I had no cash and cabbies don't care much for influence. I explained to the nice man that I was a hero and had misplaced my ID, money, etc. He laughed and mumbled what I think sounded like "Noob" I would normally take exception to a civilian calling my something so vile, but it was already starting to be a very bad day.
"Could you just tell me the day and time?"
"11:39 a.m. August 31," he said with a certain glee in his voice. "Got the Green going to that Salamander place again." I ignored him. Something was very wrong.

No comments: