Sunday, September 25, 2005

Part 3: An X-ray and an apartment


Dr. Fransisco explained that there was no reason to believe the scans were accurate. In his thirty-five years of oncology and radiology he had never seen such a phenomenon. My blood count was within the normal limits and he was sure it was a computer malfunction. Another one, I thought. He was personally going to have techs from the manufacturer come in the morning and take it apart and find the reason for the malfunction. After thirty more minutes of reassuring he told me to go home and get some rest. He asked if I wanted his receptionist to call a car service for me but I needed more protection than a driver. I thanked him for his time and left the office more confused than I was when I woke up six hours earlier that day.

I called someone I knew I could trust, Tetsujin Kaga. He had been a long time teammate of mine in Paragon City and I knew if I wasn't safe his firepower and stealth would come in handy. As usual he was there within minutes with a friendly hello and a sympathetic ear. He came in his civilian clothes and picked me up at the hospital. I told him what I knew or for that matter what I didn't know and he reassured me his protection and secrecy. Whatever or whoever was behind this is powerful and the fewer people that knew of it the better.

Our first stop was a department store where he went and bought me some regular clothes. I then changed at the Orion Labs in Steel Canyon. I was a frequent costumer there and after some small talk with the owner, Mr. Phillips, I went back to Tet's car parked outside. He took me to my Blyde Square high rise and waited in the lobby while I went to the super's office. "What can I do for you Ms. Cambridge?" he asked.

"I seemed to have misplaced my keycard Ari..."

"Oh, no problem maam. Let me make a new one for you." he said already placing a blank card into his computer. "How's your day been?"

"Oh, fine, just fine." I lied, then thanked him as he handed me the new key.

We waited for an empty elevator and pushed the button for the 23rd floor. The ride up was quiet. He looked at me and told me not to worry.

I jumped as the elevator stopped and the bell sounded. I held my breath, stepped out and turned left toward my home. He walked behind me and I heard him readying one of his devices. I turned and he was gone. I gasped.

Laughing he said, "Cloaking device.....remember."

"oh....forgot," I blushed. I inserted the card and opened the door. Empty. Gone. Everything. Even the new paint and wallpaper I had just put up a month earlier. The apartment was as empty as the day I had bought it. I felt Tetsujin Kaga pass by me and heard him as he checked every room.

"Its all empty....every room. Whats happenening?" he asked.

"I have no idea...What do I do now?" Everything I had was gone.

"You're staying at our house tonight....I'll call ahead and let the wife know. We''ll send some detectives out tomorrow after you've had a good nights sleep. You look beat."

I was.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Heh! Thanks for the mention! I'm always glad to be of service! 8D!