Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Part 23: A conversation in a library

"Your journey was comfortable? I hope." said the mysterious dark stranger "I am Corrupt Echo, welcome to our home."

I didn't know whether I should thank him; I just nodded. It wasn't really a kidnapping but I also wasn't really sure why I was brought here. The base seemed to be a converted warehouse or industrial building. The walls were simple brick with large pipes (for steam or sewage? I couldn't tell) skirting along the walls. The floors though were a beautiful hardwood very new and very well maintained. The hallways were large allowing you to see into other areas all of which seemed to have television monitors, computer equipment and laboratory wares. There also was what seemed to be heavy traffic for a base. The ones I've always visited or raided never seemed this busy. (They must be up to something. Am I safe?) On a couch watching a large monitor were two women of vastly different proportions. One was buxom and Amazonian in stature adorned with chains on her arms and boots. Next to her was the reed thin kidnapper, Yellow, I had seen previously. They seemed interested in a local news cast. Local authorities do not know who stole this magical tome from the gallery but the Rogue Island Police say they have leads. This made them laugh out loud. I didn't want to know. A short cloud of darkness passed in front of me and I could see under the negative shroud the outline of what looked like a teenage girl. A pink blur flew past at blazing speed, silver tendrils seemed to drain from the dark body and go into the pink body that now stopped as it changed directions. The dark one (wearing a similar outfit to my teleporter....must be a group uniform) looked like a slow motion replay during a sports event. The pink blur shot off in the new direction even faster and I heard what sounded like cartoon laughter.

"Damn you demented little pixie! Blight, can you stop her?" she said still trying to run but going only inches per minute. Then, Yellow I guess Blight, simply pointed a finger (still relaxing on the couch) at the blur. What looked like the root of a tree just barely peaked out of the ground just enough to send the pink ball of energy toppling into the wall just missing a bank of computer equipment. Coming to rest, upsidedown, was a tiny pointed eared creature. Fey in nature I assumed. It stood up and brushed itself off as the booming voice came from somewhere in the next room.

"What is going on in here? The pixie again?" Red appeared from the other room, something that looked like an infirmary. "Innocence Shattered, stop siphoning peoples speed! How many times have I told you?" the little pixie laughed and ran off into another section of the base, her cartoon laughter echoing through the halls. "And Blight, clean that mess up now before it keeps growing." Yellow (Blight) pointed the same finger at the plant and it withered immediately. A fireball from the other hand vaporized it into a puff of smoke.

"Sorry, Sis." she said and laughed.

"Ok, just be more careful..."

"But Gashes asked me to stop her and I......"

"Enough Blight." then her attention came to us "Is this her guest?" The dark man shook his head. "I'll take her to Pox.....Come with me, miss."
The dark stranger looked at me, "I will leave you with Codename-Singe now, thank you for your cooperation and very nice meeting you." Again I nodded.

We walked forward down a short hallway decorated with trophies from their obvious exploits/thefts/adventures/misadventures (to be honest I wasn't sure who or what I was dealing with). I did recognize that they had items from groups I myself had fought in Paragon City. A rifle from a Nemesis soldier and I believe I saw a Rikti gun just as Red pointed me toward a sunken room to our right. It was a nicely appointed library filled with books and lit by Japanese inspired lamps. Leather sofas with a coffee table and magazines centered the room. When she saw I'd arrived Green stood and smiled.

"Welcome, welcome to our home, I am Codename-Pox." she walked toward me and held out a hand to shake. I just looked at it. "I assure you of your safety; you are my guest."

"Thank you nice to meet you." I said as I tentatively shook back. Her grip was tight and her eyes intense and she smiled at me. She was sizing me up. I had not noticed but a hulking man stood behind her in a corner, hood pulled over his face with arms crossed. As I became aware and looked at him, I felt a little tickle in my brain. A knock on the mind's door. (Thank you, Mother Mental) Door locked. He whispered into her ear.

"Thank you , Lord Malevolence, thank you. You may leave us now. Singe you too." her eyes remained on me.

"But...."

"We will be fine." she said in her smooth, calm voice as she looked at me. "Won't we?"

(What could she mean by that?) "Uh, sure, yeah of course." I said nervously. (Damnit don't look weak now. Its what she's looking for.)
"Please sit." she said pointing to a couch still looking me coldly in the eyes.

"Why am I here?" I asked.

"Maybe that is a question I should be asking you? Dont' you think?" she smiled.

"I'm here on business......construction. I'm here on behalf of my company to look into the possible acquisition of....."

"I find it very hard to believe that your concerns involved Dr. dier Schepper. Last I heard he didn't have very much expertise in construction or steel." eyes laser pointed at mine. Tension.

"Last I heard you called him father. That is just as queer. Wouldn't you think?"

She smiled and shook her head slightly in agreement and slightly in laughter. "Fair enough. Fair enough. Maybe you can tell me the real reason you are here, Mental Maden. Or is that Mental Maden2 ?" The left side of her face rose in a smirk of pure satisfaction. Our eyes unlocked as I looked down in confusion. She stood and turned away looking among the books on a shelf. "Surprised?"

"A little....." (What had given me away? )

"Don't worry, my associate couldn't get anything from you." she tapped a finger to the side of her head still facing away from me. "He told me you were here on business and your name was Stephanie Pembroke. I must say, your mental blocks are powerful, Lord Malevolence is quite a powerful mind controller." She turned toward me again grinning and held her hand out to reveal her information. "The professor was holding this when we took him." My file! The scientist picked it up just as they broke into the lab. I was relieved, I hadn't given anything away, not my mind at least.

"So you understand why I'm here, then?" I asked as she handed me the file. I inspected it. Good, all accounted for.

"Oh, I understand your motives but I don't know why you came here. Dier Schepper is an expert in metas but I fail to see what you could possibly think he has to do with your condition."

"Where is he? What did you do to him?" I said frantically.

She kept her cool demeanor as I became agitated. "Patience, Mental Maden. I like you. I do. Do you realize how dumb it was .....no I'm sorry..... how dangerous it was to come here. You aren't back to your previous security level; your powers are weakened. Hell there are some of our weaker members here that could take you easily. Anyway you have guts and guts are good enough. Yeah, I think I like you."

I clutched the file to my chest and stood. "I don't think there is anything you can do for me unless you can take me to the doctor....."

"I can't do that."

"And why is that?" she looked in my eye this time I could feel the cold heart that beat in her chest. Chilling.....frightening. She laughed.

"Sit please. Just indulge me for a few more minutes. I may be able to answer a few questions for you."

"About what?"

"Your situation. I can help you. But first I want to tell you about my father. And my sisters. And what he did to us." Her voice was velvety smooth. She had a seductive quality while talking that some speakers have. Not sexual but persuasive.....confident, powerful. A natural leader. I sat back down and listened..............

No comments: