Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Part 10: The two things heroes fear most


Ask any hero what they fear most and I bet you most of them will tell you one of two things. Probably both.

#1. Getting their powers. Most don't ask for their "special abilities". Heroes are usually normal people with normal lives until fate steps in. Many fear they will become too powerful and hurt themselves or others. Some fear how it will affect their lives. (It will. It always does.) Most fear the prejudices about metahumans (until recently it was not well accepted to be gifted); I find people would just rather fit in than stick out. But I think most just fear the unknown.

#2 Losing their powers. This one may surprise people. You see, hero work is a commitment. It is an "all-in" moment. A complete willingness to give up your time, career, relationships and maybe even your life for a greater good. (Some compare it to the priesthood) It is a decision one does not want to make in vain. So once made the thought of losing it is truly frightening.

Oh....and plus.....flying is REALLY FUN!!!

Linceti, Molten and myself made a nice little team. We spent the next few nights tracking down small time crooks in Atlas Park. Molten seemed to have a natural ability for finding teammates. Soon we found ourselves teaming with a sweet quiet teenager named Boomgirl with impressive sonic attacks. As we improved our security clearance we moved on to more challenging areas of the city. I was focused on getting into Perez Park (a minimum security level 7 zone known for harboring many Vahzilok gang members) maybe I could get some answers from one of them.

My powers were strengthening but they were definitely different than before. I could still use mental powers but they subdued and controlled more than merely damaged targets. I could actually visualize a victims mind and knew how to manipulate and dominate them. I could see fear, anger, emotions. I couldn't necessarily read their minds...I wasn't psychic but I could see exactly how to attack them and where they were vulnerable.

My protective powers were different also. I used to be able to create bubbles of force that defended myself and my allies from attacks. These powers originated from my mind as my new ones did. But the old ones didn't hurt like these. I could feel the tumor vibrate inside my head! It released precise frequencies that protected others and even weakened some. I quickly learned how to moderate these frequencies to help my allies. Although different my powers proved affective and my teammates proved worthy. We were leveling and strengthening much quicker than I did in my prior journey at the low levels. By September 13, I was already Security Level 15 and finally regained my flight powers. I said goodbye to my teammates and spent the remaining day and night in the peaceful beauty of the Paragon skyline. I flew for hours just glad to feel the freedom of air travel. My mind drifted to happier times....my childhood....my mothers kisses......my fathers wisdom......the peace I attained from the Smythe family......Tess's friendship.......fighting crime/making a difference.....the face of children after saving them from a burning building.....the cracked face of a 90 year old woman as she smiled when I rescued her from Rikti in Founder Falls.....Nicholas proposing to me. I welled up with tears. Happy tears. Some sad. I had my freedom back and things felt better. At 2:00 am I landed on my balcony in Steel Canyon and entered my apartment. I removed my uniform and put on my nightshirt. I sat on the couch tired and revitalized at the same time. Maybe things were getting back to normal. My mind drifted again to Nicholas Koropolis.

A shuffling noise outside the front door made me leap out of the couch. I pressed my ear to the door and heard footsteps outside the apartment and felt someone on the other end of the doorknob. With all my strength I threw the door open and instantly pushed the intruder against the opposing wall with telekinesis and froze the figure in his own mind. The body lay in front of me convulsing. It was Detective Donnelly. Oops.

After he came to, he apologized for frightening me. He had a southern accent and with it southern manners. I almost turn him into a vegetable and he apologized to me. He spun around apparently realizing before I did that I was half naked. I blushed and ran to get my robe. I offered him a seat at the kitchen table and asked if he'd like something to drink.

"Coffee would be great."

"I thought I was the only one that drank coffee at night." I laughed. I noticed he held a plain brown paper wrapped package. He saw me eyeing it.

"Oh, sorry" he apologized again "This was leaning up against your door when I walked up..."

"And why detective were you walking up?" I asked.

"I saw you earlier tonight with your team going into Perez Park from Skyway City. I know its dangerous in there and that Vahz tend to hang out there so I came by to see if you found anything out."

"But that was hours ago, Detective."

"Well yes ma'am. I've checked in every hour or so. This last time I saw the package then heard rustling inside so I got concerned."

"Well I heard you and got a little concerned myself. I almost fried your brain. Maybe you should knock next time." I smiled.

"Think I will, ma'am. Oh, and good to see you're getting those powers back. "he smiled. It was a great smile.

We talked for the next hour about what little evidence we had. All the Vahz I could interrogate were too low level and knew nothing. He had found the same to be true on his end. We talked briefly about other leads and strategies. He was easy to talk to; very open and charming. He paid attention to your words and never interrupted. I on the other hand found myself distracted by his crystal blue eyes and his intoxicating drawl. My thoughts drifted away when he stood from the table.

He excused himself politely; it was late and he didn't want to keep me from sleep. He turned as he opened the door and there was an awkward pause. "What is it?" he asked.

Wondering if he could read my thoughts......hoping he couldn't...oh god.....I hoped he couldn't. I just muttered something totally incoherent. I blushed and ran my hand through my hair. Damnit Amanda get yourself together! "Wha.....wha...Huh?"

"The package, ma'am." he grinned (damn I bet he knew) "What is it?"

I opened the package. It was an old leather bound book: On privilege by J. Purvis. I didn't recognize the title or the author. It was odd but obviously not threatening.

"Want me to take it in?"

"No...no...its just a book. If there is anything in it out of the ordinary I'll let you know." I blushed again. Another awkward pause. "Goodnight, Detective"

"Call me Frank, ma'am."

"Call me Mandy." I smiled and shut the door pulse racing. Too awake...too distracted I sat down, opened the book and began reading.

No comments: