Monday, January 16, 2006

Part 6: The red skies of insanity


Despair flooded my mind in such strong waves I cried out in anguish. Tears flowed down my cheeks like twin salty waterfalls. Never in my life had I felt this much darkness and fear in my soul. Why? I didn't know, but it felt as if the pain of the world was directed into me. All I could do was wail to let the agony out. But as depression goes this only snowballed the feelings. I was a wreck...and completely unaware at first of the foreign landscape that surrounded me. The sky was a beautiful mixture or crimson and violet. Cloud formations moving quickly almost hypnotizing the viewer. I had been here before. It was the Shadow Shard, a transdimensional region that was being explored by the only the bravest and most powerful heroes of Paragon City. It was breathtakingly beautiful but extremely dangerous. Why was I there? How did I get there? There was no way I could be there with my new lowered security level. Then I noticed I was in my old uniform. Not the one I had on when I woke up in the bunker but the one I had fought in before that day. And orbiting me was the faint green glow of my force field. Could it be I was restored to my old self? The force field was conclusive proof. Maybe all was finally back to normal? But why was I so upset? FLASH!!!

I was standing in the ruins of a city. One that I could not immediately recognize. Buildings,trees and vehicles were tossed aside like matchsticks. I had to collect my thoughts. My vision was blurred. I shook myself to restore my sight when I noticed I was standing in the epicenter of what had to be a nuclear blast. But as my sight became clear I saw that although this city was destroyed as far as one could see there was no smoke or flame, just dust. My forcefield was on....that's what must have saved me. But who caused this? Who was I fighting? Was it?????FLASH!!!

I was in the middle of a quiet room sitting in a wooden chair, the only piece of furniture in sight. Sunlight from the window in front of me blinded me to the point of pain. I stood and spun around to avoid the glare and looked at the wall behind me. There cast against the wall paired with mine was the shadow of a bird flitting outside the window. I didn't see it due to the brightness. It was a peaceful site. As the bird flew away its shadow became larger until it enveloped the entire wall swallowing mine with its size. I saw its mouth open and although the bird had to be a good distance from the building it let out a squeal as loud as any train whistle I have ever heard. Glass broke from the window. It shook me and chilled me. I spun around to see this strange bird. Nothing there and the sunlight now hid behind a cloud.FLASH!!!

I sat up in my bed, nightshirt dripping with sweat. Pain, fear and confusion swirled through me like evil in pill form. I ran to the bathroom and vomited. Oh thank god....It was all a dream. I looked at the clock....3:33 a.m. Just a few hours until my meeting with the others. I needed the sleep but something told me it wouldn't come easily. As soon as my head hit the pillow. FLASH!!!

I flew over the ruins of the same destroyed city. I could hear the cries of the few remaining living , my soul repelled with the horror. I went from neighborhood to neighborhood desparately trying to find some of the survivors. After several hours of searching, I flew as far up as I could go to survey the damage. It was horrible...anyone's worse nightmare.....As far as my eyes could see destruction..... Past the city and into the countryside that surrounded it.....ruined. My head started to spin and I fell toward the ruins. The ground grew in size quickly. I passed out. Blackness. FLASH!!!

I sat bolt upright in bed. Knees pressed to my chest as I rocked back and forth. I looked over at the clock.....3:33 a.m. I didn't try to sleep again. Coffee....yeah, coffee would be good.

No comments: