Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Part 8: Begin Again (the second first)




"Nervous?" the voice asked behind me. Startled I turned. Smiling was the familiar face of Brighid Moriera.

"Oh, not really," I sighed "It just feels so surreal. You know? Here it is almost the same time of year that I started doing this so long ago and here I am in the same place. So many things have changed, yet I'm back at the beginning. I feel like Sisyphus rolling the rock up the hill."

I felt a warm tear trail down my face. Luckily it was the side opposite Brighid. I couldn't let anyone see me like this. I had to be strong. My mind trailed away to my first day fighting crime. Right here in Atlas Park. As I wiped the moisture from my face I smiled. Another tear followed. It felt like being the new kid in school. I walked downstairs to the offices of Dr. St. John Smythe.

He was reading some scientific article, as he always is, when I walked up to him. I looked down and smiled.

"You know you don't have to do this Mandy." he said returning the smile.

"I know Smithie." It was my name for him after he took me in. He wasn't my father; no one could take his place, but he was special. Possibly the only person on earth that even came close to Daddy. "But you know I have to do this. I have to find out whats behind this. What if other heroes are in danger."

"Mandy, you could just retire. I'll pull the strings; get you a nice retirement ceremony and I'm sure I can push for your pention as soon as the computer records are recovered."

"Now Smithie, you know I don't need a pension. You know more than anyone I don't need money."

"I know I know honey, it's just owed to you for your service."

"I never did this for money or for ceremonies, you of all people should know that."

His eyes beamed with pride. "You are so like your father at times. But thank god you look like your mother. " He laughed and half smiled. He wasn't happy I was doing this. His eyes said it all to me. I had seen that look before. I have had this conversation before. In this very spot. God it seems like so long ago..........my mind drifted back to my first day as a hero.

I stood before him a new hero looking brave and tough. Well, I was trying to look tough. I was wearing the brand new green uniform I designed with his daughter and my best friend ,Tess, before she headed back to Brown Medical School. I was excited and terrified. I had special abilities and I was bent on making a difference in the world. Besides I could do this for awhile then go to Med school. My knees shook, my eyes widened with excitement and I flashed him the smile that always got me what I wanted. (It worked on Daddy and over the years Smithie became weak to it.)

"You know you don't have to do this Amanda?" he said trying to resist my big eyed smile. "You have all the money in the world, a great mind like your dad's, the beauty of your mother, your youth. All the potential in the world to have a life much better than most......"

"You know I have to do this Smithie. It's for all those reasons I should do this. I owe this city for all its given my family...."

"Give to charity, give your time after Med school to a free clinic, hell build a hospital. You can have anything the world has to offer. I don't think you want what is coming to you. Its dangerous, Mandy."

"I know Smithie" attack of the smile again.

"Your father would kill me ,bless his soul, if he knew I was letting you do this."

I smiled even bigger, "You didn't have a choice. Love you Smithie." I kissed him on his cheek and ran off into Atlas Park for my first day as a hero.

"Amanda....Amanda.......what were you thinking about?" he said snapping his fingers in my face.

I shook my head; back to the present. I grinned, "We've had this conversation before, remember?"

"Don't remind me! He'd never forgive me for letting you do this twice. He only wanted the best for you. He loved you so much. I love you Mandy. Love you like my own."

"I know....I know. Love you Smithie." I kissed him on his cheek and ran off into Atlas Park for my second first day as a hero.

No comments: